Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ashes, Ashes


Today is Ash Wednesday, or first day of Lent. This verse in Isaiah came to mind today.

" He feeds on ashes; a deceived heart has turned him aside. And he cannot deliver himself, nor say, " Is there not a lie in my right hand?" (Isaiah 44:20) ESV

Many people around the world will spread ashes on their forehead today in the shape of a cross. Some may give up sugar, or fast food, or whatever " for Lent". But when I meditate on this verse I think those things don't matter as much to God as what you may be holding in your right hand.

What idols do you have in your life? Now before you get angry with me, I am asking myself this question also! The definition of an idol is anything you put before God. Anything you love more than Him. That could be sports, facebook, another person, or even blogging! Another way to look at this is what "pet" sin do you have that you just cherish and love and you don't want to get rid of it! You don't even want the Lord to take it from you. He would have to pry it out of your right hand!

If this is you, the Bible says it's like you are feeding on ashes! Well I don't know about you, but that is not something that I would want to eat, much less have a steady diet of it. Your heart has been deceived and you are telling yourself everything is alright. I'm okay with God. I'll just keep these lovely little pet sins, but give up something insignificant like sugar for Lent. Is that what God cares about? Really?

Jesus said to the crowd and the Pharisees, " It is not what enters the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man." (Matthew 15:11).
You can give up sugar, but if your heart is deceitful and corrupt, what good does giving up sugar do? We cannot score brownie points with Almighty God. He is holy! I wonder what is in His mind today? What is He thinking when he sees people with ashes spread on their faces? I wonder if He is thinking, " Look at them, they are spreading what they are eating on their faces like a little child does!

He wants us to feed on His Word. I'm sure that God would not prescribe a diet of ashes. I know that He wants so much more for us. He is for our good, and His Word is good for us.

God deliver us from a steady diet of ashes!

No comments:

Post a Comment