Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Life is for the Birds!

Male Goldfinch
Downy Headed Woodpecker
Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Male Cardinal
Robin



A few birds that I have seen in my yard, or at my feeders.




If you know me at all, you know how much I love birds! I have been observing birds for a couple of years now, and I just wanted to let you know a few things that I have learned from watching the birds. These are some spiritual lessons, and life lessons that I have learned: 1. Don't over obsess about your flaws, (especially if there is nothing that you can do about them!). I have watched some birds perched on my shepherds crook where my bird feeders are. Some of the birds (especially the chickadee's), will peck at their own feet. I'm not sure what they are doing, but it made me think about how I have sometimes obsessed about my own flaws. I have wasted so much time with this over the years! So now that I am 50, I've decided that I have wasted enough time with that. If I can change it, I will, but if not, I have had it with the picking of my flaws, and others' flaws. It's time to move on and move forward! 2. Let's share! I have watched the birds chase off other birds that come to eat when there are six feeding holes just at that one feeder ( I have three different feeders). There is plenty of food, and plenty of places to feed, and yet these birds will chase away other birds that come to feed. We need to be willing to share with others what we have been given by the Lord. Whether it is an abundance of food, or things that the Lord has taught us. The Lord doesn't want us to keep it to ourselves, but to share it for the good of His kingdom. Also, don't be jealous of others, and what they have. The Lord will take care of you, and give you what you need. He promises in His word to take care of you if you are one of His. (Psalm 37:25 NASB) ..."I've never seen the righteous forsaken, or their descendants begging for bread." 3. Take just what you need, and don't be wasteful. I have watched these little birds throw to the ground the seeds that they don't want to get to the ones that they like better. I also want to know whoever came up with the phrase " You eat like a bird" to mean that you're not eating much. Have you ever watched birds eat? They eat a lot of food y'all! I sometimes think they eat their weight in food! But the lesson is this: stop when you are full, and you have enough. Learn to be satisfied when you are full. Paul said in the Scriptures, " Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstance I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of being filled, and going hungry, both of having abundance, and suffering need." ( Philippians 4: 11-12) Are we learning from every circumstance that we find ourselves in life? Whatever we go through in our lives, the Lord wants us to learn from it, and then move on. I have a tendency to over indulge in everything that I enjoy. Whether it's food, especially if it's my favorite food. Such as, dark chocolate, or any kind of comfort food, like mashed potatoes and gravy, my absolute favorite comfort food! 4. Build your nest, but stop when it's good enough. Watching a bird build a nest is fascinating. They take what they find: string, straw, hay, pieces of material, anything they can find to make their nest suitable for their little ones, and them to live in. But they are content when it is done. They are satisfied to use what they have, and they know when it's done. They know when it is "good enough". What is it about us women that we love to nest? We want our homes to be "homey" and inviting to our families, and to the friends and people who enter them. We want people to feel "at home" when they come to visit. But the birds don't have a fancy store to go to for nest making materials. They use what they have, what they find. I am learning to use what I have, to re purpose things, and then to be content with what I have already. Another way to take Paul's words to heart, is to be content with the things that I have. This is an ongoing process for me. I am constantly learning from things, even little birds. So I will continue to be tutored in my life by the "Bird lessons"!

2 comments:

  1. I love this, JoAnne! And, as I also love birds, I very much appreciate that we can learn from them! Thank you, JoAnne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathey. I believe that we can learn a lot from God's creation!

    ReplyDelete