Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Stay Thirsty My Friends


On our recent visit to Missouri, my Sister-In-Love, took my camera and snapped some beautiful pictures of her neighbor's little fawn. There are some scriptures that mention the deer.
Psalm 42: 1-2 says, " As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; When shall I come and appear before God?"
Hunger and thirst is something that is hard to ignore. God placed these cravings within us so that we would seek food, or drink and get what our bodies need to survive. I believe that He also placed a similar craving within us for Him. We will not be satisfied, truly with anything else.
The picture here in this passage is of a deer that has been chased up into the hills and is so thirsty. This is a thirst and craving similar to an alcoholic craving alcohol. They just have to have it or else! The deer is so thirsty that he not only bends his head down to drink, he dives his whole body right into the river. He just wants to soak it right into his pores!
Jesus said on the Sermon on the Mount that if we are that thirsty for Him and His righteousness, we are blessed, the word happy could be inserted here.
"Blessed (happy) are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied (filled). Matthew 5:6 I would submit to you that you don't want to be righteous apart from knowing God. We need to want to know God with that much desire. Like a deer that is on the brink of thirsting to death if he doesn't get water!
Am I that thirsty for God?
In asking myself that question, I thought of that clever commercial of "The Most Interesting Man in the World". You know the one I"m talking about? At the end of the commercial, he says, "Stay Thirsty My friends"... this is a clever way for the advertiser to sell his product. It is not however something that we are interested in being physically. Who in their right minds would ever want to "stay thirsty"? However, this is a good way to think spiritually. We need to stay thirsty for God and His Word and His righteousness.
Are we thirsty for God?
Stay thirsty my friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment