Monday, August 13, 2012

A Psalm While Packing Books By: Joseph Bayly


So many hurting people... I have friends who are without jobs, in bankruptcy, and even the loss of a baby. There are many Scriptures that help us during this time, but I also like to hear from people who have walked down this same path. Through Randy Alcorn's devotional "90 Days of God's Goodness", he had a poem written by Joseph Bayly. Before I share this poem, I just wanted to tell you a little bit about Joseph Bayly. Joseph and his wife Mary Lou, lost three children. One was a baby, 18 days old, after surgery. Another at five years with leukemia, and the third was 18 years old, after a sledding accident due to complications from hemophilia.
I am interested in hearing from anyone who has gone through this much suffering. Who has worked through things, and yes even wrestled with the Lord and is still in ministry helping people.
I purchased two of Joseph Bayly's books, and the poem I am going to share with you is written by him, from the book "Psalms of My Life"
A Psalm While Packing Books
This cardboard box
Lord
see it says
Bursting limit
200 lbs. per square inch.
The box maker knew
how much strain
the box would take
what weight
would crush it.
You are wiser than the box maker
Maker of my spirit
my mind
my body.
Does the box know
when pressure increases close to
the limit?
No
it knows nothing.
But I know
when my breaking point
is near.
And so I pray
Maker of my soul
Determiner of the pressure
within
upon me
Stop it
lest I be broken
or else
change the pressure rating
of this fragile container
of Your grace
so that I may bear more.

No comments:

Post a Comment