Thursday, August 25, 2011

Back to School God's Way


I always looked forward to buying my children the back to school supplies. There is something about the new freshly sharpened pencils and the clean, white paper that just says, "Fresh start",. A new beginning. I'm not sure if the kids in school feel this way. I wanted to write a note of encouragement to them and to us all.
l. God is your most important teacher in your life.
Psalm 32: 8 says, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you." God is speaking here. What a privilege and honor, to have the most capable, intelligent, best teacher and instructor we could possibly have for our life. Yes, listen to your earthly teachers God has given you this year and learn from them. Make sure, above all that you listen to your heavenly Father for His teaching and guidance in your life.
2. Commit your work to the Lord.
Proverbs 16:3 says, " Commit your works to the LORD and your plans will be established."
I challenge you this year, if you have never done this to pray over your work. Whatever homework, term paper, or test coming up, pray and ask the Lord to help you. Ask Him to help you as you study. Ask Him to help you do your best in all of your work and see how this year turns out.
3. God goes with you to school.
I have seen many posts about how God has been kicked out of schools. In a way that is true. But in another way it isn't. Yes, they have taken prayer out of school. But they can't stop you from praying to yourself. If you are a Christian student you take the Lord with you everywhere you go! Psalm 139:7 states, " Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? No matter where you go as a Christian, you cannot get away from God. He is with you wherever you go. He is there to guide you, counsel you, fellowship with you all day. Don't forget about Him while you are at school.
A. Represent Him well.
Because of point number three, you need to represent the Lord at school. If you say that you are a Christian, act like it! Because the Lord goes with you everywhere, you should be sensitive to His Holy Spirit within you. Ask yourself a few questions.
1. If I say this, use this language, will it be pleasing to the Lord?
2. If I speak this way to someone will it build them up, or tear them down?
4. Give it your best.
When our kids were young we drummed this into their little heads. Whatever you do in school, all we ask is you do your best. Do your best in your school work, for the Lord. A great scripture to remember is, " Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men." Colossians 3: 23. Forget about pleasing Mom, forget about pleasing your teacher! No, you read that right! Let me put it this way. If you do your best in your work and do it as unto the Lord, you WILL please your teacher, and your parents! Notice this verse says "whatever you do...". This means notes, school work, whatever you are doing in this stage of your life. For a young person, that means your school work and being a good student.
I would like to close by saying a prayer for you students for this coming year.
Dear Lord, I pray that this year the students will remember that you are their teacher and guide. I pray that they would realize on a daily basis that you go with them. You will never leave them or forsake them. I pray that they will represent you well at their school. That other students and even their teacher would be drawn to you because of these student's lives. Lord, help them to commit their work to you in every assignment they would ask for your help. Help them to do their work as unto You Lord. Help them to have a successful school year, but success found in and through You. Thank you Lord for who You are, and all that you will do in these student's lives this school year. In Jesus name I pray.
I am so excited for you. Now, go back to school... God's way!

No comments:

Post a Comment