Thursday, May 12, 2011

What's in a Word?

I am prone easily to fainting! I hate to admit it, but I am. If I am in too much pain, my knees get weak and my legs fail me, and boom, down I go! It is not a fun thing by any means. When I went in to have my first child, they wanted me to walk the hospital floor. I told them it wasn't a great idea, but they wouldn't listen. I am walking and I started to feel faint, I warned them I was going down. So my sweet husband brought me back to my room and gently put me back to bed.
A few months ago when I was having so much pain with a kidney stone, I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, and before I knew it boom, I was on the floor with a thud! My strong husband once again rescued me. He helped me up, and put me back to bed. (Are you noticing a pattern). I faint, Steve is there to help me, to rescue me, to sustain me, he is a strength for me when my strength is gone. My strength leaves me, and down I go. It is so wonderful to have someone that I can lean on, that will be there for me in those times of weakness. I am glad that this doesn't happen very often, but when it does, I know I can count on him.
This made me think of this verse. "Yours words have helped the tottering to stand, and you have strengthened feeble knees." (Job 4:4 NASB) I am so thankful not only for my strong husband being there for me physically to help me stand, when I can't. But I am also just as grateful for the dear Christian friends who have been there to help me stand spiritually with a strong Word from God. This encouragement has been so valuable to me through the years.
I want to be like that with people. I want my words to be a help to the tottering, and to the feeble in spirit, strength, like a strong arm that is reaching out to them. Someone they can lean on to help get them through their journey. How are we doing with this? Are our words like a "shot" of strength to people, or are they words that knock them down? We can strengthen people with our words, even if we are not strong physically. Help us Lord to be a bolster and support to people, to strengthen them with Your Words, and in Your mighty name! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment