Saturday, May 7, 2011

Listen to Your Mother!

"Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck. " ( Proverbs 1:8-9 ESV)
The beginning of this verse starts out by saying "Hear", another way to put that would be," listen." So many times as a child my Mother would say, "Listen to Me!". She would make sure before she gave an important instruction that I was listening.
I love the fact that the Bible mentions not only Father's, but Mother's also! A Jewish Mother was highly regarded. Solomon's Mother gave him excellent instruction in Proverbs 31.
If we listen to our Mother's teachings they will be as a graceful garland for our head, and pendants for our necks. We will always be accessorized! In other words we will be spiritually beautiful!
Have you been around wise people, and just thought how lovely they were? Not that they had the most expensive and beautiful clothes and material things, but there was just something different about them, maybe you couldn't put your finger on it, but they just glow! The Spirit of God is just radiating from them. I know I have.
This Mother's Day weekend, I have been thinking about my sweet little Momma a lot. She has taught me from the time I was a child to love the Lord, by her word and by her example. I am so thankful that God gave me a godly Mother that would teach me these things. I still listen to her wise counsel. She has been down the road farther than me. I am so thankful for all of the wonderful things that she taught me. I will always cherish these things and wear them as an adornment of a beautiful garland on my head, and many pendants for my neck, that money could never buy! Don't worry Mom, I heard you all those years, and I'm still listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment