Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Is Your Soul as Watered as Your Garden?

My Herbs

Thyme

Oregano

Mint (on left)

Parsley (on right)

Basil

Red Gerber Daisy

Yellow Dahlia

I love this time of year when I can plant my flowers again, and have fresh herbs from my own garden to use in my cooking. But one thing is for sure, if I neglect them and I don't water them (especially on days like yesterday when it is in the 90's here), they will certainly shrivel and die.
The same is true if we neglect our relationship with the Lord. We will become dry and parched in our souls. If we have a garden or flowers, we tend them and take care of them by watering them regularly. Are we caring for our souls as diligently?
In the Old Testament, in Jeremiah, God calls himself "The fountain of living waters..." Jeremiah 2:13. In the New Testament Jesus says."but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life."
If we stay in close fellowship with the Lord, we will feel that our souls are nourished and fresh. We have a joy within us that the world cannot give or understand. When we read His Word daily and stay close to the Lord through prayer, we feel like our souls are being given a good soaking, like a parched plant. We drink it in, and we are sustained for another day.
The Holy Spirit within us can "blossom forth", and our joy can splash over on other's that we come in contact with.
John 7:38 that if we believe in Christ, ..."From his innermost being will flow rivers of water." We can't help but water those around us with these rivers of water. They splash over from a heart that's overflowing.
We shouldn't keep this "Life sustaining substance" to ourselves! Let's go out and "splash joy" on other's today!

1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely garden and beautiful blog. Glad to find you via Mrs. White's link up. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete