Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Reflections

A friend encouraged us to think about one word that we felt like the Lord was wanting to use in our lives for 2011. I have been thinking about this, and praying about it, and mine is "Reflections".
We had been praying in our new S.S. class about what to name our class, it was narrowed down to two names, "Journey", or "Reflections". I had felt that reflections was a great word for us, but upon prayer, and the class voting, they came up with "Journey". I later realized that the word reflections was actually for my life. This is the one-word for 2011 that the Lord wants me to "reflect" on!
So many times, we hear Pastor's and teacher's say," Let's reflect on these scriptures." But how many times do we hear them say, Let's reflect these scriptures?!

James 2:22-25

(22) But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hears who delude themselves.
(23) For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; (24) for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. (25) But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does.

I believe the writer here was saying it's just as rediculous for you to not do the word after you have heard it, as it is for you to look at yourself, and forget what you look like! In verse (25)it talks about looking intently at the perfect law. I want to look at myself also, intently, not at my outward flaws, (which by age 50, are many) but at my inward flaws.

A few questions I am asking myself:

Am I really doing what this scripture is telling me to do?

Am I reflecting Christ in this situation?

Am I reflecting Christ's love to this person?

Am I reflecting God's holiness?

Am I reflecting Christ's light, and taking it to the world?

Am I reflecting Christ in how I am speaking to this person?

These are a few of the questions that I am asking myself this year. I pray that in 2011, when people see me, they see the "Reflections" of Christ instead.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I am also in a state of "reflecting" in my life. I was thinking about your Sunday School class and the "One Word 2011" might be fun thing to with the other ladies in your class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's a very good idea Nicole. Thanks for giving me the idea!

    ReplyDelete