Thursday, January 27, 2011

Radical

I recently wrote on face book a quote from David Platt's book "Radical", I want to add some more quotes from his book that I think are thought provoking, this is not a book review, but just some interesting things in his book.

"We desperately need to explore how much of our understanding of the gospel is American and how much is biblical. And in the process we need to examine whether we have misconstrued a proper response to the gospel and maybe even missed the primary reward of the gospel, which is God himself."

"The dangerous assumption we unknowingly accept in the American dream is that our greatest asset is our own ability."

"Consider the story of Joshua outside Jericho... But notice carefully what you don't' see.You don't see all the Israelites going up to the trumpet players and telling them what an incredible job they did that day. I can almost hear them now. "Abishai, I've never heard you play that well...No. Instead you see the people of Israel realizing that only God could have done this."

..."We were created by God to enjoy his grace...Enjoy his grace and extend His glory. This is the twofold purpose behind the creation of the human race in Genesis"


"We take Jesus' command in Matthew 28 to make disciples of all nations, and we say, "That means other people." But we look at Jesus' command in Matthew 11:28, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest," and we say, "Now, that means me."

These are some of the many things in the book Radical that pricked at my heart and frankly convicted me. I hope you will read this book. It truly is "Radical"!

6 comments:

  1. During those times we saw allot of radical people doing radical things for God...and today people are doing radical things for God, but I believe we can do more if each person was to take their walk serious enough. God's desire is to take this world so that the people can know and experience Him. To reach those who are lost without Him. It's a hug world and one person can't do it all we need each body of members to do their part. Let's pray for more labors in the field

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true Desiray, we can do so much more together! I will pray to the Lord of the harvest to send more laborers. Getting ready to go to Kenya with a team for two weeks to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...guess my other comment didn't post. Anyway, I had just said that I liked the quotes and that I was now following your blog, and hoped for a re-follow from you as well :o).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Shelley, I am also following your blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quotes! They are thought provoking and ring out with truth. Are you familiar with Shane Claiborne's book, The Irresistible Revolution: Living as An Ordinary Radical...I'd highly recommend it!


    ~ blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not familiar with that, but I will def check is out! Thanks Jessica.

    ReplyDelete